Are you kicking off the New Year with a wellness program and/or trying to eat more healthful meals? Do you have a hard time finding recipes that are exciting and full of flavor? Healthful meals don’t have to be boring or sacrifice taste. Here is a recipe that is both healthy AND packed with yumminess! Crockpot Thai Beef Stew from Against All Grain is gluten, dairy, grain free and the perfect comfort food. One note: I did not have fish sauce on hand but it still tasted wonderful. Next time I will plan to have that because I’m sure it will add another depth of flavor. I served this over cauliflower rice, a perfect accompaniment. Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup peeled and julienned jicama*
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
*omit for SCD
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat on all sides.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer each batch of browned meat directly to the slow cooker, then continue browning. Wipe out the skillet between batches if a lot of liquid has accumulated at the bottom to ensure even browning.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir continuously to release the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato paste, curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, and salt, then pour the mixture over the beef in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours. Add the broccoli, carrots, and jicama during the last 30 minutes if cooking on high, or the last hour if cooking on low. Serve garnished with cilantro.