I am SO EXCITED to share this recipe with you! I found this recipe for Pumpkin Caramels and tucked it away in my Pinterest pages for a “later day”. I found the recipe again yesterday and decided to give it a try, making a few very small modifications to suit my preferences and ingredients on hand.
Oh. My. Goodness!
These taste like little bites of pumpkin pie. No kidding! Here’s why I love them: They are the perfect bite size fall treat. They are made with only a few, REAL ingredients. SO quick and easy! They have no added sugar–Don’t get me wrong they are plenty sweet! Did I mention they taste like little bites of pumpkin pie?!
Actually, they’d be the perfect dessert to bring to holiday get-togethers, especially if you have friends with different dietary restrictions. They’re vegan, dairy and gluten free! Enjoy!
Pumpkin Pie Caramel Bites
(original recipe, Pumpkin Caramels by Minimalist Baker)
12 oz medjool dates, pitted (if not moist and sticky, soak in hot water 10 mins then drain thoroughly).
2 TBS pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS melted coconut oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
unsweetened coconut flakes
- Add dates to the food processor and mix until a ball forms. Add pumpkin puree, cinnamon, salt and mix.
- While mixing, stream in melted coconut oil until a paste forms, scraping down sides as needed. Dana, at the Minimalist Baker recommends adding 1-2 TBS of hot water if ingredients don’t mix–I didn’t have any problem getting it to mix).
- Transfer mixture to freezer for a minimum of 2 hours (I left mine overnight) to allow for easy handling.
- Once set, remove from freezer, scoop out by rounded tablespoonful and roll into ball. Roll ball in shredded coconut. (Original recipe calls for roasted pepitas which sounds delicious too)!
- Keep in the freezer, they don’t harden.